ANNAPOLIS, Md. — The Naval Academy Aquatic Club (Navy AC) is seeking a full time Water Polo Head Coach for an age group and masters water polo programs.
The Club: The Navy AC water polo club is one of the oldest American Water Polo and USA Water Polo clubs, established in 1982. The club utilizes the aquatic facilities at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD, and it has participated in water polo competitions in the Northeast and nationally. Navy AC has consistently trained athletes in the greater metropolitan Annapolis, Washington, DC and Baltimore areas, many of whom have gone on to continue their water polo experiences at nationally recognized collegiate water polo programs.
The Position: The Navy AC Water Polo Head Coach is a full time position, physically located in Annapolis, MD, which is responsible for the day to day operation and for the strategic development of the club The club’s Water Polo Head Coach will have the opportunity to continue to lead this program to success and will have the opportunity to implement innovative strategies of coaching and recruiting age group athletes as well as being a person who leads the development of water polo programs in the east. The Water Polo Head Coach will provide program management including long term planning, financial budgeting, strategic marketing, tournament direction, liaison with local and national water polo partners, and planning of competitive opportunities for athletes.
In addition to having a great opportunity to build the sport of water polo in the Northeast, the Water Polo Head Coach will have the opportunity to live in the historic Annapolis, MD community, which is located on the Severn River and the Chesapeake Bay. The Water Polo Head Coach will coach on the campus of the United States Naval Academy, and will experience the excitement of being located at the world’s most prestigious military academy.
Requirements: The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- The ability to engage different age groups and skill levels and work towards success leading a team.
- A competency in the sport of water polo both through personal athletic experience and demonstrated ability to coach and adapt to an ever-evolving sport. Significant experience coaching and managing in a high-level club or college water polo program is highly desired.
- Successful experience in developing, administrating, managing and leading water polo program(s).
- Current coaching certifications with American Water Polo and USA Water Polo including all safety certifications (lifeguard, first aid, CPR, AED, etc.)
- A four-year baccalaureate degree (may be waived in lieu of extensive experience).
Responsibilities: The Water Polo Head Coach will promote a positive coaching philosophy and be responsible for the structure, development, and operation of the water polo program at Navy AC. Job responsibilities include:
- Develop the and implement practices and standards for each practice group which currently includes 12U, 14U, 16U and 18U age groups.
- Coordinate water polo practices by developing and implementing practice plans, scheduling assistant coaches, and overseeing assistant coaches to ensure an overall high-quality program.
- Provide on-deck coaching as well as oversight of assistant coaches during practices and competitions.
- Serve as liaison to the Naval Academy Water Polo Coach and Naval Academy facilities personnel to coordinate pool usage and other scheduling/logistics matters.
- Plan and initiate, with the assistance of club employees and volunteers, club development activities to grow membership, attract and develop high level athletes, further the water polo experience of the athletes, and strengthen the financial stability of the club as well as the competitive reputation of the club.
- Develop and maintain strong liaison with local swim clubs, high schools, swimming programs and coaches to attract and recruit athletes.
- Coordinate and conduct promotional water polo programs such as introduction to water polo programs and Splash Ball, partnering with local pools and clubs.
- Explore the development of a master’s water polo program under the umbrella of the club.
- Plan, coordinate, administrate, and lead, with the assistance of club employees and volunteers,team competitions and travel.
- Plan, coordinate, administrate, and lead, with the assistance of club employees and volunteers, age group tournaments hosted by the club.
- Provide reports and brief the club membership and the club Board of Directors on the status of club happenings and updates on water polo topics at monthly meetings.
- Coordinate with college coaches to assist in the recruiting of NAAC athletes by other colleges and provide athletes guidance and direction to prepare them for college water polo.
- Recruit, supervise, develop, train and mentor head age group coaches, assistant water polo coaches, and the club financial officer (business manager).
- Coordinate with and provide advice and direction to club functional and work committees made up of parent volunteers and employees.
To apply, please forward a cover letter and a resume to Luis Nicolao at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please address any questions about this posting to Coach Nicolao.