We are pleased that you have joined American Water Polo. We feel as though our coaches are an invaluable asset to growing our organization and the sport of water polo. Coaches are the driving force behind many successful club and high school programs. You are the hard working people that recruit and shape the way that your athletes play.
Please read the following statement for our coaches:
As an American Water Polo Coach, I agree to…
- Provide a safe environment for my athletes, including one free from alcohol and illegal substances abuse
- Respect my opponent and the officials in our sport at all times
- Coaches will maintain a standard of excellence with regard to education and information related to coaching and make an on-going effort to maintain competence in the skills they use.
- Coaches will exercise integrity in the practice of coaching and be honest, fair and respectful of others.
- Coaches will uphold professional standards, clarify professional roles and obligations, accept appropriate responsibility for behavior and adapt methods to the needs of participants.
- The value of good sportsmanship, the concepts of fair play, and the skills of the game should always be placed above wining.
- Coaches will respect the fundamental rights, welfare, dignity, values, opinions and worth of all participants and will be aware of cultural and individual differences including those due to age, gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, language and socio-economic status.
- The safety and welfare of the players are of primary importance.
- Coaches must always be aware of the tremendous influence they have on their players. They are to strive to be positive role models in dealing with young people, as well as adults.
- Any person officially charged with a crime will be removed from direct involvement with the AWP until such time the matter is resolved, at which point the Executive Director in consultation with the Board of Directors may determine a course of action.
- Coaches will be sensitive to different roles and responsibilities of all participants and not exploit or mislead them.
We recommend that all coaches take the SafeSport and the Heads Up Concussion training. These programs are free of charge and are valuable tools for coaches.